Saturday, October 25, 2014

Life at Home with Two - WEEK ONE

Well, we made it! We are home. The four of us!
My lil Naters!


Jackson meeting Nate for the first time
My boys! My heart is SO full!

We were released from the hospital over lunch on Monday (Oct. 20) after Nate had his lovely circumcision (hate that part). And then Nate spit up everywhere in his car seat. Then pooped. Then pooped again. And spit up. And pooped again (this is normal with a fast delivery we found out.)

Let me just tell you this. I spent months worrying and worrying that I would go into hibernation again like I did after Jackson was born. That I would be a walking zombie. That I would have a lot of the same struggles I did with Jackson. That I would lose myself. That I wouldn't be able to do it.
Worked out the Tuesday before Nate came

Spent a LOT of extra time with this lil brown-eyed guy before Nate's arrival

Gpa and Gma Koester have been working on his winking skills

The Wednesday before!

My last workout - Thursday! Stair Climber level 7 for 15 minutes

One big wagon ride around the neighborhood with my lil guy the Thursday before

Last supper. CLEAN EATING goodness all week long!

Walked a couple miles to the park. Next day Nate came!

Worrying is SUCH wasted time!!! The older I get I have realized I need to give myself some serious LOVE and credit over here.
Heaven. 

7 pounds 5 ounces 20 inches long




I'm telling you, this time around has been SO DIFFERENT. Yes, we're only into week one and I've had help. Which has been WONDERFUL. So reality hasn't set in JUST yet. But sometimes I just want to scream from the rooftops - I LOVE BEING A MOM. My heart is so full right now. It's nuts.

So weird because after I had Jackson I wanted to hide at Kohl's because it was SO much change at once. I didn't think I could do it. I wasn't sure I had the energy or the skill.

It's amazing what happens when you believe in yourself.
Go figure but the last day of Jackson's daycare was the Thursday before Nate came! They made us this book. I BAWLED MY EYES OUT. 

DAY of NATE - we did Zumbini as a family that morning

Contractions started and this guy was busy!

I'd go from inside to outside to distract myself. 

Pretty sure this was taken during a crazy contraction

I just couldn't stop playing with him! I knew what was coming...

On our way to the hospital - Saturday, Oct. 18 at 6 p.m. 54 degrees out.


Survived the first night!

Nurse. Nurse. Nurse. Nurse. 

Jackson is having a little tough time. He wrapped his lion up like a baby and gave him to Nate

Still adjusting to being a big brother. Has peed himself a few times... Threw a couple tantrums. But he will come over and kiss Nathan and pray for him at night. 

Nurse. Nurse. Nurse. Nurse. 


I think it might be the expectation part of it all. As much as I TRIED to prepare myself for Jackson, I couldn't. That was one HECK of a CHANGE to our system and life. Obviously, a GREAT change, but when you're going through it for the first time, it's like...WHOA. What the heck did we just do?!? I missed my sleep. I missed my husband. I missed my life. I missed routine. I missed it all. But why wouldn't I? It's all I ever knew. I didn't know babies or how to change a diaper. 

Karl and I watched some videos of when Jackson was born. It took me about 5 minutes to change ONE diaper. We laughed. Look at those two clueless people. Look how far we've come.

I know that everything is a phase and now I find myself wanting to HANG ON to every little thing because I know how incredibly FAST this goes. I know my body will bounce back and soon the aches, pains, massive boobs, bloody nipples (yep, got those again) and leaking from every part of me will stop. I know that we'll get into a schedule eventually and everything will be JUST FINE.

This attitude of mine could be the reason Nathan is SO very chill. He's a sweetheart and a cuddler. He barely squawks. We just brought him back from his first week appointment. He is 7 pounds 8 ounces. So he has gained his birth weight back and then some. (Thank you, GOD!) This was MUSIC to my EARS since I had SUCH a difficult time nursing with Jackson. This time around I'm also not keeping track of wet diapers or a feeding schedule. I'm just going with it. Where was this person the first time around?

Now...let's talk sleep at night. Ufdah. Jackson came home and did 5-hour stretches right off the bat. I thought that was bad. Hello. I didn't realize how AWESOME that was until we brought Nate home and he gave us an hour or two stretch of sleep. Yowza! But, he's also SMALLER than Jackson was and requires more feedings. We MIGHT be getting there now that he's up in weight! He did give us a five-hour stretch early yesterday morning. But fussed a little bit before bed. 

I'm trying to get him into his bassinet next to our bed so he's already laying flat but he doesn't always seem to like that. Each night gets a LITTLE better. But man, once midnight comes around and I still haven't closed my eyes, I'm thinking...tomorrow could be rough.

But then I wake up and it's not so bad. Yes, I'm tired, but I can function. I'm also STILL on my adrenaline high too.

I also experienced killer headaches for about four days in a row. The home care nurse thought this was from the intrathecal in my back and wanted me to call my OBGYN, but I continued to drink TONS of water and made my way outside to get some fresh air. That did the trick.

Nate is pretty much right where Jackson is when he goes in for his check ups - in the upper 70th percentile for height and lower 30th percentile for weight. Tall and skinny! Now don't think I'll be comparing them forever because I'm not. They are both their own perfect individuals in my eyes.

We went on our first walk and that felt AMAZING and just came back from our second walk. So wonderful to get out and enjoy this beautiful fall weather and just for me to get out walking. I was a little sore after but it was nice to breathe it all in and soak up some sunshine.

So yeah...still floating away here on cloud nine. Soaking it all up!



0 comments:

Post a Comment